Amazing Recovery Of A Toddler


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Amazing recovery of toddler with 32% burns on his face who healed with NO scars thanks to revolutionary treatment
By Luke Salked
This is the smile that Isambard Ebbutt’s mother feared she would never see.

He suffered horrific burns when he poured a cup of scalding tea over his head as a baby.

But despite not having a single skin graft, he is almost unrecognisable nearly two years later.

Amazing recovery: The toddler after receiving a ‘Bacteriosafe’ technology treatment

Isambard, two, has amazed doctors by appearing to suffer no lasting damage from the accident.

He was just 13 months old when he poured the tea over himself in September
2008.

He suffered 32 per cent burns to his face and torso, and doctors at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol feared he would suffer severe scarring or contract potentially fatal infections.

But he recovered quickly enough to return to his home in Torquay in only ten days, and his remarkable progress has continued.

Badly burned: Isambard Ebbutt in hospital after tipping a scalding cup of tea over his face

Yesterday Isambard’s mother, Natalie Ebbutt, 37, who has five other children with husband Chris, said: ‘It is so poignant that a cup of tea can kill but I don’t think that parents are aware of the damage it can do.

‘I see adults walking around all the time with hot drinks near children. I thought he was going to die.

‘There is never a day that goes by when we don’t think how lucky we are to have him in such a perfect condition and see his smiling face.’

Isambard was treated by experts from the South-West Regional Paediatric Burns Service, who have begun working with scientists from the University of Bath to create a new dressing to protect burns victims from infections.

Having fun: Isambard plays at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol where he was treated for severe burns

The ‘Bacteriosafe’ technology will release antibiotics from nanocapsules triggered by the presence of bacteria which cause infectious diseases. The dressing will also change colour when the antibiotic is released to alert medics.

Mrs Ebbutt added: ‘I knew that the biggest chance of losing my child was if an infection took hold.

‘All I could do was cross my fingers and hope for the best.

‘To think now that there is a possibility of avoiding serious infection and complications with this project is amazing.’

Sphere: Related Content

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Originally posted 2011-01-30 08:00:31. Republished by Blog Post Promoter




This email was sent to one of the OddEmail contributors. Emails on this site are NOT written by contributors. The views and opinions in this email do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the contributors. In fact, there is a good chance that the opinions of this email are entirely contrary to those of the contributor, so please hold them against the person who sent the email originally, not Odd Email!


This entry was posted on Friday, September 12th, 2014 at 3:38 am and is filed under Age, children. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.